Side Entrance Close

The original entrance to the hall and the site of the first building on the land.  It was an impressive stone built Priory which was demolished in 1800.  The Priory housed a Cistercian order and is recorded that the monks were responsible for introducing sheep farming into the area.  It became a habit with them, as was making cheese, perhaps a very early Wallace & Grommit.

The boundary wall shows a combination of stone and small bricks – the only remains of the original building.

A pen scratch is the only image to be found at Delapre Abbey archives. (see picture).
The wall also houses a private Victorian postbox – with letters being collected at the crack of ice. (Winwick Hall only)
The North Gate’s originated from Wales and depict two welsh dragons to the memory of the original monks.